Monday, January 23, 2012

Elder Keaton "Pasha" Flitton's weekly update.

       Well it has been a very eventful week. We have had a lot of success this week and have had some down times this week. The good news is that we have a baptism this week for Evan and he chose me to baptize him. I was so honored when he asked me to do it. Evan is a very humble person. He is very poor and he lives of the government because he has a bum leg. He loves to read and I have given him a lot of books to read from our library. Elder Hronek and I gave him a white shirt and two ties. He wore them to church yesterday and he looked like a stud. He is an awesome person and has a very strong spirit. 
        I have gotten some emails saying that you want to hear about the grandma that we saved from the ice. I thought I included that story but I would be happy to tell it again because it makes me happy.
We had a lesson with one of our members and we took a taxi to their house. When we got out of the taxi we started walking to the house. I heard this grandma yelling and I told Elder Hronek that we should probably go see if she needs help. We ran over to her and helped her our of the freezing water and she looked into my eyes directly and said, "you English boy" i said "yes" she started crying because she was so happy. She said that we were her angels and gave us Russian names. She still calls us by those names today. My name is Pasha haha. She gave us a gift and pulled out two sea shells that she had gotten from the Black Sea. It was so funny because she just kept randomly crying and thanking us. We now have a new investigator and she wants to be baptized. We just need to teach her and give her some commitments and see if she follows them. The acts of service can go so far.
        I have a funny Russian story that I would like to tell you about. As Elder Hronek and I were on the bus, I saw a man stumble onto the bus. I could smell the vodka on him from the other end of the bus. He was wasted. As the bus drove on this liquid started running down his pants. It was a very constant flow. Everyone around him started freaking out and people were moving trying to get out of the way. He wasn't phased, he just stood there. I saw a grown man pee his pants on the bus that day. It was definitely one of the weirdest experiences in my life. It is sad to see how addiction can ruin someones life. Vodka is a huge deal here and it is sad to see.
        Well on the other hand everything is going great here in Kurgan. The work is starting to explode and it is awesome to see. We have a baptism this saturday for Evan and I'm pumped. Heavenly Father has his eye sight focused on Russia. I feel once Kurgan explodes the rest of Russia will explode and we will get a temple here. The people here in Russia need a temple. I cant wait for that day. I miss all of you back home and just want to tell you that the work that Im doing, the message that I share with people is true. With every cell in my body, I know that this gospel is true and I know that Jesus Christ is the head of all. If we simply have faith and ask he will give. I know that to be true and I promise you that you can go to your Heavenly Father at any time and he will comfort you. Thank you for all the support back home. Love you all.
 - Elder Flitton

I don't know about you, but when I was reading this in class, I couldn't contain my laughter. It isn't everyday that you see the things he sees... I will now and probably forever call Keaton by his russian name. Pasha. Has a nice ring to it. That lady seems so incredibly sweet, doesn't she? 

It really is so exciting that Keat gets to perform Evan's baptism!! I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate his 4 month mark! He is already changing so many people's lives because of this gospel. 

In and email to his grandpa, Mike:
The other day we did some service for one of the branch members. She needed us to help her neighbor. We had to transport a dead body to be buried. The caskets here are so cheap, they are way thin wood and are decorated with crosses on them for the church. Luckily we just had to move the casket out of the building and onto the bus. Me and my companion thought we were going to have to dedicate the grave or something. We were really nervous but we just had to put the casket on the bus. Whoo! ha 


um...hello! I was getting a bit nervous as I was reading this little section...I could not even imagine! What a great missionary :)
and to your delight, we received pictures!! 

This is the lady that they helped in the ice and who calls him Pasha.

That is Evan, the one being baptized this weekend, next to Keaton

Russia. Looks SO cold.

Cool ice sculptures! Look at that warm Eskimo coat!


Who knows what he is doing...but that sculpture is way cool!


I say this over and over again, but I just can't help but be so proud of what Keat is doing. He is working so hard and changing lives. I am so grateful to say that my very best friend is a missionary!! He is such an example to all of us!

Have a great week, everyone!

"Attitude is everything. If you have a bad attitude you wont be successful. I try every morning to just enjoy my opportunity and always work my hardest. I have seen by doing that, that Heavenly Father blesses you abundantly."
- Elder Keaton Jeffrey Flitton

No comments:

Post a Comment