Monday, February 20, 2012

Feb. 20th Update!

Hello from Kurgan

       Wow what a week. So many great experiences and so many lasting memories. A lot better week than the one where I was sick. It is so awesome how Heavenly Father works. I was really stressed about stuff two weeks ago and I felt that nothing was going the way I wanted it to. I decided that I would read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. It says in PMG to do it so I thought that I would give it a try. Nothing happened right away but a couple of days later I had an experience that re confirmed to me that the Book of Mormon is true. We had a meeting with Galena who is a older lady and got surgery on her eyes, so we have helped her get groceries. We decided to have the firstlesson with her and we brought a member with us. His name is Andrei. As we were teaching her we asked him to bear his testimony of the Book of Mormon. He bore the most sincere testimony that I have ever heard. He is only 17 and he bore his simple testimony. I felt the spirit so strong. It doesnt take impressive words, you dont have to be eloquent or anything, all you need is a firm faith in Jesus Christ and the spirit will prick the hearts of others that hear you. I know that the Book of Mormon is true. I promise you that if you read the Book of Mormon and you ask your Heavenly Father if it is true he will give you an anwser. Hey I even recieved an anwser so that means anyone can get one.
        This week we were able to visit Evan our newest member in Kurgan. He lives in very humbling circumstances. He lives in a hospital for people that cant live on there own and cant pay to live. We were able to go in and see how he was doing and teach him some follow up lessons. We decided that we would buy some waffley for him and some juice that we could chow down on. We walked into the hospital and all of the people that lived in there came out to greet us. A man walked out with a huge accordian and started to play it for us. He was really good and he even sang along with it. Yah that is on camera. We also had a poetry contest where Evan shared his poetry that he writes. It was awesome. We shared all of our treats and shared all the juice with everyone. People were so happy to see us there. It really touched my heart. Shaking all of there hands and just being a friend to all of them. I know that those people in the Hospital know nothing about the Book of Mormon or the LDS church but what they do know now that missionaries from the LDS church are genuinely nice people and that is what our church is all about. Being nice to others and loving all people. I felt that Jesus Christ showed his love for those people through us. I am so grateful for having this oppurtunity to represent Christ here in Russia.
        News on Igor. He came to church yesterday and he will be baptized on saturday. We had a great meeting with him a couple of days ago and we feel that he is ready. He is keeping all of the commitments and he told us that he wants to serve a mission. We will be preparing him for the Aarronic Priesthood. Igor is my hero. Being young here is tough becuase so many people drink, smoke, and have sex. To change your life, to give up your friends for something better is what Igor is doing. He really is prepared for baptism and to take upon him sacred covenants of baptism. I have seen him progress a lot. It is so great to see. Victor our other investigator has fallen off the face of the planet. We have no idea where he went. We pray for him that he will give us a call someday.

        The work in Kurgan is exploding. Transfers is coming up in two weeks. I will be done being trained and then I will be flying to Finland to renew my Visa. I cant wait. These past 11 weeks have flown. I have come to love the people of Russia. They are the greatest and most friendly people ever. I was able to have dinner at a members house the other day. That was very intresting. I was fed these weird meatballs that I have no idea what were in them. This very weird mushroom/fish salad.... Chan you would have passed out. I ate it and held it down haha but it was very difficult. I also was able to try some different kind of fruit drink. Let's just say that it was an experience.
        Oh yah I got my package from my grandparents, felt like Christmas opening it. I got a letter from Jullian also and then a letter from Melody my neighbor. Thank you so much for the letter Melody, it meant a lot. That was all. Im sorry if I dont get your mail, it is difficult to get mail here in Russia. Thanks again Grandma and Jen for the package and everything was in it.
        Chan ofcourse I want the video clip ha. Love the pictures also... I do have a lot of compition.
Well the work here is booming. In five years there will probably be a stake here in Yekat. Can't wait. Thanks for all of the mailand emails everyone.
Elder Flitton


-What a turn around from the last two weeks, right?? Just goes to show how blessed we are when we put our full faith in our Savior.
-Isn't that so exciting to hear about how well Evan is doing, and the progress Igor is making??!! Can't wait to hear about his baptism next week. Just keep them in your prayers that they will all stay faithful and get to experience such a special moment next week!
-What about that trip to Finland?? Lucky guy :)
-Man oh man is he right when he said I would have passed out with that mushroom/fish salad...what a trooper.

I sure do love this missionary!
Can't believe it has been almost 5 months down!!


"Yes, faith is a choice, and it must be sought after and developed. Thus, we are responsible for our own faith. We are also responsible for our lack of faith. The choice is yours."
      -Bishop Richard C. Edgley 


No comments:

Post a Comment