Sunday, February 19, 2012

weekly update!

Hello from Russia

Well this last week was kind of a rough one. All of our meetings with our investigators fell through. We were only able to have one meeting with one of our investigators. Yesterday were met with Egor and he has been progressing. It was the first time that he has attended church. I was so happy to see him there. He even stayed all three hours. We set his baptism date for the 18th of February. Elder Hronek and I are thrilled about him and all of the progress that he is making.
We did a lot of door knocking this week. We talked to a lot of people and we also had a lot of doors shut in our face. I knocked this one guys door and told him that we were representatives from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that we had a message about Jesus Christ. He started to yell at me and then slammed his door. The good thing about being a missionary and learning a new language, when people yell at you and talk really fast you have no idea what they are saying. When people slam there doors it doesnt get me down, but I just feel bad for those people. If only they knew why we were really there and how great the message we have to share with them is. It can be discouraging sometimes but Elder Hronek and I find away to keep positive. Elder Hronek and I know how to make each other laugh so that is nice.
Funny story of the week. We had a follow up lesson with Evan and one of the members house. There was a random man there that was scary. When I think of a Russian I think of a giant, with a bad eye and a very deep voice. Well this man was exactly that. To add to it he was drunk. He was a very different person. He had faught in the war and was very grumpy. I was scared and I got to sit next to him. All I did was just smile and that cheered him right up. He would get this huge smile on his face and would cheer up every time that i smiled. So grandma thanks for always telling me to smile. It worked this time and I became this mans best friend.
Thank you everyone for your emails. I will try to write you. Sorry if I dont anwser back to your emails, give me some time and I promis that I will. Thank you for all of the support back home.
Love
Elder Flitton


An email to Jeff:

We really didn't have much success last week, all of our investigators figged on their meetings that we had set up. We only had one meeting with egor and it was yesterday. We have the 18th for his baptism. He is awesome. So last week we just did a lot of contacting. We knocked a lot of doors and were able to talk to people. WE only got one return appointment and that is today so hopefully that turns out good. It is really hard to work with the members here. Russians are a very pecuiliar people. We try our best to get the members involved. It is hard becuase we only have one person that has the melchizadek priesthood that comes to meetings and he is our branch president. So pretty much the missionaires run the show. We try our best with the members.
This last week was probably the coldest week so far. It got to -30c this week. I have to double my clothing and wear my scarf on my face, I look like a terrorist sometimes. You got to do what you got to do to stay warm.
I love my companion, we get along great. We havent had any disputiations or fights so that is good. He is a great elder and I learn a ton from him.
The language is definately a struggle. This week has been really difficult for some reason. I have gotten down on myself sometimes but I just think to my self that it will only take time and faith. So i just show my faith and do my best.
People love to talk to us because we are American. That is how i usually start my conversations with people.
I have settled into kurgan. I love this city. It is a very poor city but the people here are great and I love them. Could you send me your recipe for hootnane panckakes? I want to make them really bad.


Sounds like our Elder is hanging in there! Hopefully, Egor's baptism yesterday went smoothly and was full of excitement, happiness, and the Spirit! I will make sure to post tomorrow's email faster than these last two!

I love you all and am grateful for your love in return. This experience is so special for not only Elder Flitton, but for each one of us to be able to learn more of and grow closer to our Savior. Keep the faith.

"If you have determined to live righteously, don't become discouraged. Life may seem difficult now, but hold on tightly to that iron rod of truth. You are making better progress than you realize."
    -Elder Richard G. Scott 

No comments:

Post a Comment